Saturday, May 3, 2008

It doesnt matter if the crowd is 15 or 200

I first heard Improv at a music festival in Fort Collins CO. Called New West Fest. I heard part of a song called Crowd Control. The key thing that got me was the line "Hip-hop needs to act its age and quit the face lifts"

I've always been a big fan of rap. Ranging from EazyE to JayZ. My collection is huge and varied from gangsta rap to outkasts and Eminem. So hearing that one song which was all I really caught of their set I decided to buy his CD from the little booth. Have not regretted it since. After that show I made it a point to catch Improv when I could live. Saw him open for another band called Flobots and the crowd was good. Saw him play in a Local musician contest where he was the only rap act and saw him give 110% even though there was literally 15 people in the crowd. He gave it all when he preformed for the Hip-hop Congress Breakdance battle also which had a significantly much bigger crowd. I imagine if you were to play a 6-degrees of Colorado Hiphop you would find Improv is linked to quite a few people.

"Conscious, intelligent hip-hop." - Improv

http://www.myspace.com/improvmusic

I ask once if he has thought about ring tones and tell him good show and he recognizes me the next time I'm there. I throw together a little vid showing some breakdancing with his music in the background and hes like "That's dope". It is that attitude like that which draws me to small acts. How long will it be until others discover Improv I do not know. Until then I will at least be 1 in the audience cheering for him.

How to describe his style. One could say he is quick and astute in both his performance and when he freestyles. However instead of making music that follows usual popular hip-hop rap he goes a more intelligent route. Songs that tell stories and try to provoke thought. You see the stories in the songs on his Grace EP... "Castles made of Sand" "Fort Granted" However you also have a song that try to go for a change as seen in "Inner-World Blues" Then the usual fun songs but contain hidden gems of intelligence in them such as "Party" and "Crowd Control"

Intelligent hip-hop. I know of another group of white rappers who are pursuing the same thing. I'm hoping this is the next wave for rap. Socially Critical(So-crit?) and Intelligent. I'm tired of bling, ho's, 40's, huge rims, and gold-plated everything. I'm sure others are getting to that point to. Where 80's rock got too glam and too flashy I'm hoping current hip-hop will get to that point also and then we will have a huge change as a new wave comes out and takes over the music world much like what Grunge did.

That wave I hope will have Improv and another group Whiskey Blanket at their forefront.
While I've had the CD Grace EP for quite a while now and I imagine my review is long over due I highly recommend giving this guy a try and seeing if you like his style. You can hear some of his music off his myspace. There is also a link to listen to or download his Grace CD.
So ditch your bling and cheap ho's. Give real a chance.


May 2 2008 8:00P --- The Roxy (18+) Denver, Colorado

May 10 2008 7:00 --- REMIX ’08 "Hip Hop Performance Competition" @ Hodi’s Half Note Fort Collins, Colorado


Get this CD which I give a rating of :2 hot intelligent ladies willing to discuss 3rd world poverty and hopefully the direction hip-hop will take us in the upcoming years.

No comments: