Saturday, May 31, 2008

Arcanium

So Friday May 23rd I went to a show at Hodi’s Half Note. There was a band called Arcanium (http://www.myspace.com/arcaniumband ) that I wanted to see playing there. They were also having a CD release party to promote their first self-titled CD. Overall I didn’t get to stay for the whole show so much of my experience with them is based off their myspace page and their CD, which I was able to snag before I had to go.

I’ve always been a fan of hard rock music. Slowly over the years my tastes have pushed the heavier stuff into the realm of death metal and such. Things like Hatebreed, Engel (http://www.myspace.com/engelmusic ), and Black Label Society. While my tastes vary the main thing that I need to make something enjoyable to me is a melody or somewhat of a melodic part to the sound.

Arcanium does this by multiple vocalists providing the various bits of melodic singing to support the growling-harsh singer. Some bands use the studio magic and bits of prerecorded sound files to duplicate something that can be achieved by having band mates provide. In Arcanium’s case it works rather well and they are enjoyable to listen to.

They have melody. They have intriguing lyrics. They have the ability and skill to entice and pound your skull into the ground while they perform. Only thing they don’t have is a major record deal in order to get them more exposure. They are also a young band and may evolve into something better. They already have 2 people doing vocals now and then with other band members they could explore that more. The effect of several overlaying melodies can be a sweet assault on the senses.

So I give their CD a rating of a sore neck and 2 bittersweet but hurting eardrums for standing closer than I should have.

No comments: