Thursday, May 1, 2008

A previous CD sale from Sept 2007... figured I would share. Part to show my style and another part to show how varied my taste is.


Dashboard Confessionals - Unplugged - Double disc which contains the soundtrack and DVD to their unplugged concert for MTV. While I could go into a rant about early Dashboard confessional’s work I do admit this is an excellent disc. If you’re a fan of them or just a fan of soft rock/emo rock this is decent. The concert shows how into the music the fans are. Often they will break out into singing the chorus and you see people mouthing or singing along throughout the whole concert. Well worth the time and money. I would give this disc a rating of 2 razorblades and a bucket of crocodile tears.

Sting - Desert Rose Single - Back in the day record companies came out with singles which contained a popular song and probably some B-sides or remixes of other songs. This disc came a Radio edit and a remixed radio edit of the song Desert Rose and two remixes of A Brand New Day. While I do not really like a Brand New Day I do enjoy the song Desert Rose. It was always one of those songs I would catch on the radio and enjoy but never bought nor downloaded for whatever reason. A wonderful song that I wish I could share with everyone I run across. I give it a rating of 2 praise Allah and death to 11 Infidels.

Singles - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - The movie Singles came out around 1992. It is a romantic drama type of movie that had a killer soundtrack. Cameron Crowe choose songs that reflected the youth at the time and you ended up with a movie that contained clips, appearances, and even a concert of some of the most popular bands from the “grunge” era. With Pearl jam, Chris Cornell, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Mudhoney, and Screaming Trees you have a soundtrack that appealed to the youth of the day. In addition to being a good movie this soundtrack both surprised me and honestly if I had the option of paying 5$ for it I would’ve. Well worth every penny and more. I give this disc a rating of 3 heroin injections along with 2 trips of acid with a pair of horns thrown up for good measure.

Tori Amos - Hey Jupiter single - Another single that I picked up. While I own Boy’s for Pele I got this because it has what every single should have. The song and b-sides/rarities. This has the live version of Somewhere over the rainbow along with Sugar, Honey, and Professional Widow. Since I first heart Tori’s voice off of Little Earthquakes I’ve been hooked. There is just something about her voice and the piano. If you have not ever heard her I recommend giving her a try. Check out some of her early works or heck just sample little bit of them all. I give this CD a rating of 50 little ears and a piano named Scruffy.

Tori Amos - Cruel Single - Yet another single that I snagged. This one has the song Cruel and Raspberry Swirl remixes. Both songs are from the .. From the choirgirl hotel CD. My feelings regarding Tori are the same and this disc I give a rating of 50 little ears and a piano named Scruffy.

The Crow - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - The crow was an excellent movie. If you have not seen it then please gouge out your eyes and sprinkle some salt upon the holes. The soundtrack has music ranging from Stone Temple Pilots to Nine Inch Nails, from The Cure to Pantera and Violent Femmes. It covers a wide selection and like the movie has its ups and downs. For rating I would give this disc 2 sticks of black lipstick and 1 dead action star.

Ace of Base - The Sign - The infectious song that I’m sure many remember from their early high school years. Not really a fan of the band I do like the song and my dislike of the band was mostly from the overabundance of radio play the song and their other hit “All that she wants and Don’t turn Around” . I give this disc a nostalgic 2 thumbs up.

Waynes World - The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - With an opening song of Bohemian Rhapsody and songs from Jimi Hendrix, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and even Eric Clapton. This soundtrack like its movie covered a wide variety of genres. I’m sure everyone has seen this movie and with the soundtrack I too can experience getting a few friends in a car together to sing along to the only Queen song I will admit that I like. I give this disc a rating of "A Party On Garth."

Linkin Park/ Jay-Z - Collusion Course - A few years ago a DJ named Danger Mouse (he is now part of Gnarls Barkley I believe) did a remix of Jay-Z’s Black Album with the Beatle’s White Album. It was a big hit on the internet as people downloaded it and many were introduced into the Mash-up genre. Jay-Z must have enjoyed the remix as he collaborated with Linkin Park and they took songs from each and mixed them together. They even did a special Live show on MTV which was lots of fun. If you like either Jay-Z or Linkin Park I recommend this disc and it exposes you to a music style you may not have really experienced and with it combined together its not as big of a change from the usual. If you’re a fan of both then I recommend it because its kind of cool and some songs just work together. Others… well not as well but due to the mixing capabilities of Linkin Park they are still good. I give this a remixed cellEXent.

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - I already own this double disc album. However a long time ago I lost my lyric book. I don’t know if I could describe this album to anyone really. If you live in Fort Collins and have not heard it let me know. I consider this THE Smashing Pumpkin album. Somewhat epic in its scope it has a variety of sounds and songs to quench any thirst. However regarding the lyric book ITS MINE AND YOU CANNOT HAVE IT!

Boiler Room - The original Motion Picture Soundtrack - One of those composed soundtracks that went with the movie. An enjoyable movie featuring young stars at the time Vin Diesel, Giovanni Ribisi, Nina Long, and Ben Affleck. While it doesn’t really have any songs that have vocals it makes for good chill out type of music I imagine looping a few of the tracks would make good mood music for some gaming sessions.

Korn - ADIDAS Single - Yet Another Single CD. It contains 3 different version of ADIDAS from their Life is Peachy album. It also has a remix of Wicked. While I’m not a big fan of Korn’s cd Life is Peachy (it wasn’t until follow the leader and Issues that I really got into and liked their music) the ADIDAS song is a fav of mine. I give this CD a rating of 18years of a messed up life and 1 broken childhood.

Lennon - 5:30 Saturday Morning - I already own this disc. In fact I paid 18$ to order it through The Finest ( http://www.thefinest.com/ )about two years ago after I found a Single of hers at a CD sale. The single held my attention so much I special ordered her debut CD. Why did I pick this up though I already own it. Well I gave away my single to a friend in hopes it would inspire her to buy the album also. I picked this up so I have a copy that I can give away to someone if they do show interest in her. Lennon Murphy has not had an easy time while trying to make her own way in the recording industry. From personal tragedy to bad timing (her CD 530 Saturday morning was released Tuesday Sept 11th 2001 and was quickly forgotten due to the 911 attacks and the resulting drama after that. ) I give her CD a rating of 1 HOT rocker chick and 18 piercings.

Mariah Carey - Daydream - Before the ego, before the huge drama about her mental state, before much of the ballyhoo… there was this voice. Mariah’s voice is quite the instrument. With a star studded selection of Boys 2 men, Jermaine Dupri, Old Dirty Bastard, and even Puff Daddy she had the support and help from some of music’s top people to ensure you were entrapped with her voice. She deserves 2 lines of coke and 1/2lb of crazy and hopes that she shares.

Ours - Distorted Lullabies - Haven’t really listened to this but will try to fill in later.

Dropbox - Dropbox - I originally heard about this band when reading an article about Godsmack as one of the guitarist of Godsmack left the band to form Dropbox. Haven’t really listened to it.. Will fill in later…

Filter - Hey Man Nice Shot - Another CD single. With 4 different versions of the song and White like that I decided to get it because I really do like the song. I give this CD a rating of an empty chamber and 5 ejected casings.

Dangerous Minds - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - A thoughtful movie from 1995 regarding a white teacher who went to an inner city high school to teach with the purpose of opening minds. The song Gansta’s Paradise from Coolio enjoyed massive radio airplay and that’s honestly the only song I remember really from the movie.

Electra - The Album - While I imagine this is just a soundtrack CD at the moment I’m not sure as I have never seen the movie. It has music from bands like 12 stones, Alter Bridge, evanescence, and Jet. I figured I would give it a shot. … Will write more about it later depending on things.. It may end up sitting on my shelf gathering dust…

New Jack City - Music from the Motion Picture - New Jack City was one of the first DVD’s I ever owned. It is a action gangster movie with a message and a killer soundtrack that fit’s the movie. While I never really desired to own the soundtrack now that I have it I’m sure I will enjoy it as I’m a fan of hip-hop/rap. I’m going to rate this CD two hits of crack and a very long line of cocaine.

Ben Moody - Everything Burns Single - This song from the Fantastic Four soundtrack features Anastacia and Ben Moody (formerly of Evanescence) The guitar work and lyrical ability of Ben combined with the wonderful voice of Anastacia. While Ben himself really doesn’t have the greatest of voices you can hear that his old band will miss his abilities. When it came out there was a big bright future for Ben awaiting however we have yet to really see his solo CD appear. However him collaborating and working with other artists and even writing songs for some you see all over. Maybe it is possible that he realized his talents as great as they are do not lie in the vocal section and he needs a wonderful female voice to really showcase it. As it does in this song. A huge ego and bad breakup give this CD a rating of 5 hopes for a reunion tour with Amy Lee.

The Union Underground - Killing The Fly Single - An education in Rebellion was the debut CD for Union Underground. Killing the Fly was the second single released. Since I already own the Debut CD I bought this because it would serve as a introduction CD to someone if I meet someone who likes rock but has not yet heard of the band. Their sound like somewhat like Godsmack.

Smashing Pumpkins - 1979 Single - This 4 song Single has 1979, Ugly, Believe, and Cherry. While I own Mellon Collie I got this because it would add a little more to my CD collection.

Train - Drops of Jupiter Single - I own Train’s debut CD and I have a copy of Drops of Jupiter and just never got around to buying the actual CD. I’m certain this single will make a good gift or something to a friend if I ever run across her because she absolutely loved this song.

Genika - The Purity - I’m not exactly sure.. it’s a double disc one with the songs and a disc full of remixes. Will have to write more later on it.

Sunscreem -Pressure Us - Again not exactly sure.. Will write more. it’s a single but has 2 cd’s so I imagine its tons of remixes.

The Major Motion Picture show - Fall tour 2000- A CD with different songs from different bands ranging from Barenaked ladies to Filter.. Not exactly sure also.. I think it was a promo disc from Voltzwagon as there is a VW logo and website on the cover.

Rednex - Cotton Eye Joe Single - Contains the single to the song and a few remixes of other stuff it’s a weird song and I can only recommend you check it out online somehow.

Chevelle - Sampler - More like a single as it has Comfortable Liar, The red, and Its no Good from their CD Wonder what’s Next. Its one of those disc’s the record company sends out to record stores and radios trying to get airplay of new bands. I will use it the same way by giving to a friend somewhere down the line in trying to introduce them to the band.

The Refreshments - Fizzy Fuzzy Big and Buzzy - I’ve only heard a single song from them called Bandito’s which is just a weird but cool song. I’m not sure what the full length cd will contain and will try to update when I do figure it out.

POD - The Fundamental Elements of Southtown - POD the Christian/punk/rock band and well I’ve only heard a few of POD’s songs. Only 2 from this CD from a single that I got a long time ago. I know I will like the 2 songs but the rest of the CD well.. Not sure at the moment.

Kate Mann - Devil’s Rope - Not sure but it’s a female artist with so far a good voice. Will have to update later.

Bush - Razorblade suitcase Interactive CDROM - Occasionally you run into Cdrom disc’s mixed in and this is one of them. Early guess is that it has interviews, videos, and possibly even an interactive game. Will have to review it and post later..

Susie Suh - Up close and Personal With - This is a DVD which contains a small bio on Susie Suh. Its like 5minutes long and has snippets of music in the background while trying to introduce you to her. Her voice sounds deep almost like Mary Fahl. Will have to research it more later.

No comments: