Thursday, May 1, 2008

Music Blog..

It was that time of the year again... the time where Kasmiur wakes his happy rear up early and goes digging through thousands of CD's trying to find new and interesting music.
The fun part of this every 6th months is the expierence it provides. You have 50-100 people also looking for an old CD or something new. In the background you have people talking about different music and styles while a dj provides actual music to eliminate the sound of passing traffic.

Along with various used discs and random CD's that you find there are lots of Imports and singles so using this as a way to learn about new music is an excellent choice. Where you may not always find a really good band at the cost of 50cents its low enough to not worry about only getting 50% quality ratio. It is also one of the few times I would purchase a CD based off the cover and art. One time I took a CD player there to listen before I finalized my purchase but ended up spending waaay too much time there. So now its just grab what looks interesting then at the end filter out what I would expect to be crap and then make my purchase. Sometimes I would go from having 50cd's to 40 after removing out 10... other times I would keep all the first grabs and still snag a few more.

With the possibility that my local record store(The Finest - http://www.thefinest.com/ ) is going to go out of business I went to this one with a heavy heart. This could be the last time I would expierence one of these things here in Fort Collins. This was one of the best memories and events I have expierenced here in FTC. When I first came here and didnt have many friends this was something that cheered me up and was one of the coolest things I did for a good amount of time.
So here is the list.. Will update with notes and stuff as I still dig through the material.

1. Apocalyptica - Worlds Collide
Apocalyptica is a Finnish cello metal band. While it seems wierd I recommend these guys. Orginally I heard of them a while ago when they did cover's of Metallica songs ( www.youtube.com/watch?...J3C-c&NR=1 ) . Thinking that was cool when I saw this disc I figured I could not lose. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalyptica has tons more info about the band itself. The CD though... I just think wow when I listen to it. They dont have vocals on all the songs its about 40-60% split. Where they dont have vocals the mix of your traditional rock elements of guitar, drum, bass, and the cello.
Probably the best song for me on the CD is the one where they have Cristina Scabbia sing - S.O.S. (Anything but Love). Part of it is her voice as I'm a fan of Lacuna Coil. Another part of me wishes this was a duet but eh.. I recommend listening to it if your a fan of rock and female vocals... www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-owrCJXUx4 is the video. This song is something I would expect to hear out of Cristina if she was to ever try a solo project.
While I like the whole CD there are some songs I listen to more than others obviously. Surprisingly the top 4 only 2 are songs with vocals. The other vocal song is a song featuring Corey Taylor as the vocalist. I dare say this reminds me a lot of the band A Perfect Circle's second cd 13th step.
Otherwise the track Peace and Worlds Collide are excellent tracks. I'm hoping in the future they do continue to have guest vocals as this is an excellent CD.

2. Jump Start Advanced 2nd Grade - Computer software 3 disc set PC and MAC
Somehow computersoftware got mixed into the boxes. This isn't completly unusual. You get a computer disc out of every thousand CD's or so. I have a young neice and nephew so I snagged it because.

3. NASA Triumphs and Tragedies - 2 dvds of various NASA Footage.. probably an TV mini-series.
Started to watch this. Appears to be part of a series or something probably a mini series on discovery channel. Its cool but its also kinda boring unless your into that. I figured what the heck and snagged the 2 disc's I saw.

4. Elton John - Orginal Soundtrack to "friends"
I've been trying to listen to more Elton John stuff. While I'm not a big fan of his music he can write some good songs and his playing is excellent. So figured something I could listen to. Havn't listened to the disc yet.

5. Wakeland - Magnetic -http://www.myspace.com/chrissullivanmusic
Not sure havn't listened to it really... will have to update.

6. Sylvie Lewis - Translations - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvie_Lewis
Not sure havn't listened to it really... will have to update.

7. PJ Harvey - "You said Something" single
Not sure havn't listened to it really... will have to update.

8. Music from the movie Twister
Not sure havn't listened to it really... will have to update.

9. Enochian Crescent - Babalon Patrale De Telocbobim - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enochian
Not sure havn't listened to it really... will have to update.

10. Helen Stellar - Below Radar helenstellar.com/
Not sure havn't listened to it really... will have to update.

11. Helen Stellar - The Newton
Not sure havn't listened to it really... will have to update.

12. Michael W. Smith - The First Decade
Not sure havn't listened to it really... will have to update. I do however own several other Michael W. Smith CD's. When I was younger a "Big Brother"(Part of a Big Brother/Big Sister program to help troubled youth) bought me the "Go West Young Man"(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_West_Young_Man ) album. The First Decade CD is effectivly a greatest hits disc. With songs like Kentucky Rose, Go west young man, and friends. In the early 80's and 90's he was a popular christian artist and I imagine he still is. While I can imagine the idea of christian music may seem counter to what I may present to people in general, my friends do know that I have a side that likes this type of music. Sometimes you just need something inspirational. While this does not have the duet he did with Amy Grant for the Friends song its still an excellent song. Probably transport a few people back to highschool when they first heard the song as it was often played at the end of year cermonies. www.youtube.com/watch?...re=related

13. Urkraft - The Inhuman Aberration - http://heavymetal.about.com/od/cdreviews/fr/urkraft.htm
Havn't really listened yet...

14. Hanson - This Time Around - Single
Yeah.. I know..It is pop music. but eh.. listen to the song then mock me at least. www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOchEMY1K3w also check out them covering the song "never been to spain" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlajKoLYhlo

15. X Levitation Cult - Happiness in Hell
Havn't really listened yet...

16. Amy Lee - Use me - http://amyleesax.com/ Not to be confused with Amy Lee from Evanescence(who I do like some of her stuff..) this Amy is a saxophonist.. havn't really listened to it yet.. but wiki is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Lee_(saxophonist))

17. The Goo Goo Dolls- Dizzy up the Girl
No comment at the moment...

18. Metallica - The unforgiven 2 - CD single
As a Metallica Fan I got this because well.. It was a decent song. Just something else to add to my collection.

19. Elton John - Candle in the Wind 1997 - CD single
Suck it long and hard Elton John Haters! This is a beautiful song.

20. 4 Him - The Message -Another Christian music band. Havn't listened to the CD yet. I have heard some songs by 4 Him previously from the various WoW (world of Worship) cd's that I have. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4Him

21. Arthur Verocai - Encore -
Another one I havn't listened to yet..

22. Collision - Collision
Another one I havn't listened to yet..

23. Filter - Short Bus
I think I already own this CD but wasn't sure. I know I have the mp3's on my computer so I either had it and ripped it and lost it over the years or I snagged it illegally. So regardless I have a copy for my collection..

24. Jewel - Pieces of You
Yeah.. Not much I can say about this CD choice...

25. Marcille Wallis - A Celtic Heritage
Was hoping for some background celtic music for gaming with friends but its not that much to my flavor.. eh.. oh well.

26. Iona - Heaven's Bright Sun - Live CD
Havn't really listened to it yet..

27. This Aint no Tribute - House of Blues - Songs of Janis Joplin
My Mom and Dad were always into the old classic rock and such. I remember her song Piece of My heart from waaay back when. So I got this thinking it would be fun to listen to.. Havn't listened to it yet but I doubt they will have a female vocal as moving as Janis's.

28. Creation - http://www.motherearthrecords.com/creation.htm
Mood music for relaxation or gaming with friends. can't really describe it at the moment.

29. Isole- a CD of Epic Doom metal... or at least thats what it says on it.
Epic Doom Metal! How could one not resist getting this CD. Thier thrash is so heavy its EPIC! Thier lyrics soo deep they are DOOM!!! Only those who truly trusted in the fact thier music was the most epic or most DOOM would put this label on thier cover riiiight? hehe... I have listened to it some. It is rather epic sounding. Not sure where the doom fits in yet hehe. If your a fan of metal and probably Goth/metal or a fan of european Metal this may appeal to you. Luckily they have a myspace so you can check out and help determine if thier doom is enough or if they are just slightly less than epic. http://www.myspace.com/isole

30. 30 seconds to mars - A beautiful Lie
Havn't listened to it really...

31. DJ Rap - Learning Curve
I like DJ Rap. I first heard about her off a BT song (Never gonna come back down.. where he says "Donde esta los digits du dj rap" ) But how can one deny a beautiful woman who knows her way around a turntable and can pump out some heavy bass and sweet beats? www.myspace.com/therealdjrap is her myspace. This is music to help get you moving at times If you do like her also check out Touching Bass

32. Will Smith - Big Willie Style
Eh.. Will smith.. I like a song so figured what the heck..

33. Will Smith - Willennium
Eh.. again.. Will smith.. I like a song so figured what the heck..

34. Eminem - When I'm Gone single
Now I've been a fan of Eminem for quite a while. I have the video for this song on my computer so I snagged this because its something I wanted. It has both the clean and dirty version. Funny enough they censored out Wrist on the line "Her wrists are bleedin" blah.. I hate censorship.

35. Crushed - advance CD of thier debut disc - www.myspace.com/crushed Havn't really listened to it also..

No comments: