Friday, May 2, 2008

Sooo.... What? Sofo

For the most part when a stranger approaches me and tries to start up a conversation I am hesitant. It is only when I'm around people I know that I truly act natural. Everything else in public is usually reserved and shy'ish.

Myspace challenges that for me though. Constantly I'm approached by people I do not know. While it is online and I would think it would be easier it is not. Sometimes the person asking to be my friend or saying hello is a band who saw I liked other bands and figured they would see if I would like their music also.

Sofo is such a band. I'm not sure how they approached me or found out my myspace page but I'm glad they did. I was originally going to turn them down because they have this red drawing on their page of a sailor. While it may seem shallow to think I would judge them on that... well I was worried it was going to be some sea shanty songs or something. Luckily for me their music loaded quickly and I liked what I heard.


It sounds like your standard and modern rock. You have your guitars, vocals and drum kit. You have your standard tool set for what could be an entertaining combo. When I first started listening I heard with a critical ear and jotted down a note that at times the vocals seemed too soft and the rest of the sound too loud. So the lyrics were often lost either as either incomprehensible or due to being drowned by the drums and bass. After listening to them a bit more I realize I could have just been not listening enough. Overall I have little to criticize them on at this point. It is nothing an day in a studio with some careful mixing wouldn't fix.
On one of their songs they carefully meld a piano into their sound. Where it isn't too much it is neither too little. If you listen to their songs you will hear other components added into the mix.
Sofo is:

Tommy Oviatt:Vocals/Guitar/Keys/Didgeridoo

Will Oviatt:Vocals/Bass/hand drums/keys

Matt Oviatt:Drums/Electric Drum FX

http://www.myspace.com/sofosound

Rush - I'm not gonna say anything except load up their myspace page, select this song, turn the lights down low, and relax.

Passing signs - Soft and semi slow song. This song has most varied of the vocals. Probably one of my favorite songs. They have the vocals and instruments balanced well. The vocals are clear and audible and the drums and guitar provide an equal backdrop with the various other bits added in for extra. I could turn off the vocals and enjoy listening to that by itself. I could lower everything except the vocals and probably have a nice slow melody which this song does well. At the moment I cannot think of a band to compare it to. I would say the band "The killer and the star"(used to be When November Falls - has the ex-cold Frontman Scooter Ward's new project) would be close to thier sound but I doubt many listen or have heard that group. So for the moment

Cool Rain - A song that starts off a little acoustic and slow. Almost like the title of the song. Slowly though with the vocals dragging it gives the feeling something is coming up. And it does. The brief pause and the rock begins. At times some bands over do this and it can get annoying but for these guys it does seem to fit with this song at least. It is also one of the songs they have where there are multiple vocals. I'm not sure if they are prerecorded or the drummer and guitarist taking a step in. It is always cool when the band takes a hand in vocals or helping out with other parts but not many bands have guitarists or drummers who can hold a melody or have a decent singing voice. Now I'm not sure with this band but it is a good try.

Underplumb - With a start off of just guitar and drums it takes 20seconds for the vocals to start up. The beginning of the song is where it sounded like the vocals were not clear or loud enough. approx 40-60sec is in the point. However it could be a stylistic choice by the band to make the vocals hold a back seat to the excellent guitar playing. Clearly I over-ananlyze things too much. The drums sounded a little prefect so I dumped the song into a recording program and saw the drum beats were off by .02sec or something (1.8sec or so cycle for most of the song) But I'm not here to over analyze but sometimes it is hard to stop myself. I also went as far as to dump the song into a sound editing program and toned down the bass and upped the treble a bit. While I achieved what I wanted (louder vocals) the song lost something in the mix(surprising how this song feels without the drums or guitar being what they are). So style or could be they just play like that and the original would be more closer to their live sound (which is also good because bands that sound one way then play live a completely different way is kinda annoying... See any band who relies on pro-tools for vocals).

The band is good. They play well together. I would attempt to describe them as a progressive rock band with much a head of them. I'm hoping to catch them live someday and will see if they have any words in regards to my over analytical criticism of their one song but I do enjoy listening to them. Give them a shot and if you like them check out one of their live shows.

May 8 2008 8:00P Laramie Lounge Denver, Colorado

May 17 2008 8:00P The Toad Tavern/Acoustic show!! Denver, Colorado

May 22 2008 10:00P Surfside 7 w/VONNEGUT!!!! Fort Collins, Colorado

May 30 2008 8:00P The Bluebird/SOFO CD Release!!W/VONNEGUT & The EPILOGUES Denver, Colorado


What Do I know. I am just the listener who is enjoying what he is hearing. I would give this band a rating of : ZERO cheesy sea shanty's and 2 thumbs up.

No comments: